Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cape Breton, Nova Scotia!
















 We landed in Cape Breton late in the evening at about 8:00pm after a long 6.5 hour drive from Prince Edward Island.  The next day we went into Sydney to pick up some groceries and see some of the area.  We stopped a local fried chicken restaurant called Lick a Chick that was recommended by several people.  After $37.00 we got 9 pieces of chicken,coleslaw,french fries and 4 rolls!  Ouch, that seemed like an arm and a leg for some chicken. The chicken was great and we sat outside under a beautiful sun filled sky with outside temps of 75 degrees.  Karen and Kaylee found a stray dog and decided they were going to catch him and find his home, because he was right next to a busy street.  After many failed attempts at getting close to the dog a local came out of the restaurant and told them the dog lived down the street and hangs around the place often.  They have brought him back before and the owner insists on letting him run free.  Hope he stays off the road...

Off to the store for some food for the fridge.  Man, we should have brought food with us!  Boneless chicken breast $7.00 for 2 small breasts!  I bought as little as possible to avoid having to sell one of the kids to pay for the bill.  The next morning, we headed for the Cabot Trail, a 200 mile loop around the coast of Cape Breton.  On the road, we found a Celtic school that teaches bagpipe music and I just happen to see a guy outside with his bagpipes.  I whip the truck in the parking lot, pull right up in front of him and ask him to play for us.  He gladly does and we listened for a song or two and I handed him a $2 coin for his time.  Back on the trail - Karen spotted a glass blowing store, so we pull in and find two guys working on a vase.  They gave us a very informative class on their craft we stayed there for about 45 minutes!  Back on the trail -  I spot a bakery so I stopped to grab some homemade biscuits and a cinnamon bun.  Outside, the kids had fun taking turns standing in between a set of moose antlers mounted on a stand.  The entire day went like this, pulling off whenever we saw something neat as we rolled leisurely around the cape.  Karen and Kaylee started getting frustrated with me, because I would see this great photo opportunity and stop the truck sometime 5 or 6 times in a single mile.  I told Karen how about you drive and that would free me up to snap pictures and get in and out faster.  She needed one of the kids booster seats, to see over the steering wheel, so I snapped a picture of it.  After less than 20 miles I was walking back from a store and Karen is sitting in the passenger seat saying " My seat belt is on, so you have to drive now."  Back in the drivers seat again I stopped at a small store asking where we could see the moose on this drive.  After some quick tips from a local on where to look we were on the road again.  Kaylee spotted the first moose and calf and pulled over for some pics.  Less than 10 miles, down the road Karen spotted the next mother and calf. We really enjoyed seeing these giants as we have been wanting to see one since we got into Maine!  All in all we spent 10 hours traveling this magnificent coastline and mountain range.  By the end of the day, we were all wiped out and ready for bed! 

The next morning, it was gloomy and overcast, so Bryson and I went into town to get one of the truck tires patched from a screw I picked up on the road the day before and to see if we could buy some lobster fresh from the boats at the docks.  I found the docks and struck up a conversation with a local lobsterman about the same age as me and he spent an hour with me talking about Novia Scotia and his job.  Although we didn't buy any lobster that day, they were all sold right before I got there, I had a great time speaking with a local and learning about his life! Cape Breton is a beautiful place to visit and reminded me of being in Alaska!  Next stop Halifax!.

No comments:

Post a Comment