Tuesday, June 28, 2011

BarHarbor Still!

Bald Eagle 150 yards away!



Penobscot bridge next to Fort Knox!














After finishing up Bryson's birthday we went in to town to visit Bar Island.  An island that is only accessable at low tide.  You literally walk on a sandbar out to the island during low tide and then you have to be off the island before high tide or your stuck.  We spent an hour or so turning over rocks and catching crabs and what we think were krill hiding in the seaweed.  From there we walked into downtown Bar Harbor to see the shops and get a little ice cream!  Kaylee has become quite the art lover and she really enjoys walking through the galleries looking at all the artworks.  When we do this, my job is to keep Bryson's hands and feet away from the art work as he loves to run his hands down the pictures and pick up expensive things! 

The next morning we met up with our friends Bob and Nancy in a little town called Belfast!  On the way to see them we stopped at a Walmart for some items and Karen ran inside while I waited in the car. While driving through the parking lot I happened across a very odd looking sport utility so I pulled up to take a look at it.  What I found was nothing short of amazing!  This "Over Lander" had a license plate from South Africa! I snapped some photos and found a map on the side of it showing there route around the world! I thought our trip was big!  I never got a chance to speak with the people driving this vehicle, because we were pressed for time and that would not have been a 10 minute conversation!  

We made it to Belfast 20 minutes late due to some poor driving/navigating, then had breakfast at a little diner right in town.  We then strolled through the town looking in shops and checking out the harbor for boats.  On our way back from Belfast we stumbled upon Fort Knox an old British Fort on the Penobscot Narrows. Its a narrow channel of water rich with history about a battle between  the American and British armies in which the Americans lost over 40 ships! We didn't have the time to stop and take the tour, but the fort and bridge were absolutely stunning!

That evening, we headed out to a local lumberjack show, a few miles from the campground.  On the drive over, I caught, out of the corner of my eye, a Bald Eagle sitting on the shore waiting for the fish to be swept out at low tide!  I jumped out of the truck and grabbed my camera with the zoom lens and headed down to the water.  The eagle was about 150 yards out in a marsh, but I managed to get some good shots of him sitting and then flying up to his tree!  I looked at Karen and said "That's why I bought the good lenses for the camera."  I guess its my way of justifying the expensive purchase of the camera and lenses!  Off to the lumberjack show.  We had a great time with the kids and they even got a chance to go up on stage and participate!  The lady in the picture is "Tina" and she was on the show "Survivor- Panama edition" but was voted of first!  

June 28th

I'm officially 43 years old today!  We got up at 3:15am to catch the sunrise at Cadillac Mountain!  What a beautiful morning!  The sun came up at 4.49am and I snapped 50 or so pics with the help of a fellow photographer.  The guy next to me had a serious camera and tripod setup with all kids of gadgets hooked up to it, then I show up with a hand held camera.  Almost like bringing a knife to a gun fight!  The guy was super nice and showed me a few pointers and in return I introduced him to the infamous Norman the Scooter Dog.  We chatted about our trip around the USA and when I went back to the truck for something the entire family yelled "Happy Birthday Daddy!" This in turn started a rally from the rest of the people at the mountain saying "Happy Birthday Dad!"  We left the mountain and took a drive around the park spotting deer and other critters along the way.  We stopped for breakfast on the way home, then I laid down for a little nap at 10:30am! What a great day.  I wonder what's for dinner tonight??????

No comments:

Post a Comment