Monday, June 6, 2011

Driving to New York. One heck of a rough day!

Verrazano Bridge

Got to love this one!



Well we left the Jersey Shore this morning around 11:30am and started heading north on the Garden State Parkway.  The trip was going fine until 10 miles into Kaylee says "I've got to go to the bathroom" so we start looking for a rest stop!  Ok, back on the road again and hitting evry toll both we could.  I think its their mission to milk every cent out of us before we get out of the state!  After $50 or more worth of tolls we finally got out of New Jersey and into New York.  So as i'm traveling over the 1st of many pothole infested bridges (Goethals Bridge) and some (this is where this blog turns in a PG13 rating) Asshole passes me on a very narrow bridge and the traffic comes to a stop in his lane so he procedes to slam on the brakes and jump into my lane and almost hitting us! It was all I could do to get the truck slowed down enough to let him in!  From there my blood is starting boil and the trailer and truck are getting beat to death.  Sooooo we proceed to the Brooklyn/Queens Expressway and about 5 miles into it we see a sign that says trucks over 12 feet high must exit!  What??????  So we figured we better get off considering our trailer is justg under 13 feet tall!  BIG mistake on our part!  We then took a 1 hour tour of Brooklyn in a 60 foot long truck and trailer!  I learned a lot in that 1 hour tour of the city!  First of which, if your delivering things in Brooklyn just go ahead and park in the street and we will find away around you. Second is ...there are a lot of traffic lights for such a small area.  While weaving in and out of parked cars, people walking across the street, and countless deliveries in the middle of the street I needed to get into the right hand lane, because our lane turned into a turning lane, so I did, the light turned red and the car in front of me stopped abruptly, I slammed on the brakes and all 6 tires on the Dodge screeched and the truck slid forward.  I knew I wasn't going to stop in time so I swerved back into the turning lane and finally got it stopped using both lanes.  A lady on the side walk was staring at me, I stared back, because I was pissed to be in this situation in the city. She finally said "Are you ok?" I replied yes and she said "you scared us!"  I said "I scared myself!"  She smiled, then I smiled, then the light turned green and off we went as Karen is trying to find a way out of this city.  Karen had my phone and the laptop but going and neither of which would cooperate, so here we are lost in the city in a truck/trailer and driver that had no business being there!  It reminds me of a family trip with my parents getting lost in the city in a Winnebago on our way to Disney world!  While pulling up to a stop light an African American couple drove by and were laughing at us, because they knew we were lost! I crept forward and said "is there a campground around here?"  She laughed and said "You don't want to be camping around here".  I laughed and asked how to get back to the Long Island Expressway and she kindly gave directions to the Brooklyn/Queens Expressway.  Karen then got the GPS working and got us back on the expressway!  HURRAY!!!!!!!  After about 20 or so miles on the expressway a guy beeped his horn and pulled up next to us and  told us we will get a ticket for being in the fast lane so we pulled into the middle lane.  I was relieved because I thought he was going to tell me something  fell off the trailer!  Man, talk about being stressed out!  After all that we got off the expressway and found the road for our campground and promptly drove past the entrance which is the last turn off before the dead end street!  I then enjoyed a 1/4 of a mile lesson in backing the trailer!  That my friends is one heck of a rough day.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to NY! I was born in Brooklyn and have lived in Brooklyn and on Long Island all of my life - and I feel EXACTLY the way you do. Yes, in Brooklyn and all of NYC delivery trucks think nothing of parking in the middle of the street to make their deliveries - there is even a name for it here - "Double Parking". I think that you will find LI a little more relaxing to drive in. Just don't get on anything named "Parkway" and you will be fine. Of course you have arrived for the heatwave. Stay cool and enjoy - and don't think too much about the drive back. 18 wheelers drive the LIE (495) and the Brooklyn-Queens Expwy. - I am surprised that you saw a height restriction sign - but pay attention to those signs - not only will you risk your RV but you will get a ticket too. Oh yes, if your GPS is not a truck GPS beware of routings - as I say don't get on any road that says Parkway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best blog post yet, Chris. LMAO @ PG13 comment!!

    ReplyDelete